1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Putting Food By

Peaches have been on my mind and up until I found the peaches in the photo, the price was not right.  My mom tipped me off that a farm stand in Sultan was selling them for $16.50 per box.  I rushed out there the next evening.  (Stockings Farm in Sultan.) 
It was like a diamond in the rough, and it smelled like dairy cows.
I had been here once before to purchase some pumpkin bread mix.  It's really a beautiful place, surrounded by flourishing veggie gardens.  I found my peaches in a pile that said "#2", and that meant that there were some minor imperfections and the boxes had been marked down to $8.50.  I purchased three boxes. One of Elberta peaches, two boxes of Red Globe.
Not bad for cell phone photos, eh?  I would've liked to wander around and see what was growing.  I could tell everything had just been fertilized.  I would love to work a farm.
My mom gave me this book for my birthday last year.  It's quite helpful!  I was, however, annoyed that it only gives the recommendation of using syrup in canned peaches.  I refuse to swamp all of that beautiful fruit in syrup.  I have always canned with water.  No death by sugar, here.
I used my water bath canner to sanitize the jars.  They had been in the attic all winter.  (Last year our apple tree didn't produce well, and what it DID give us was full of bugs.  No canned apples, hence the jars were banned to the attic.)  Anyway, the book recommends 30 minutes.  Running through the dishwasher is a good way to sanitize your jars and rings.
Here they go- packed and filled with water, leaving a 1/2" head space for our elevation.  Into the water bath for 25 minutes.
Peaches for winter!  Peaches for ♥peach cobbler♥.. I will share that recipe soon.  It's a keeper.  ☺

1 comment:

  1. It took me a few years to come to the realization that you could can in just water. For years I thought it was required that you can in syrup. I have since been enlightened and now can in water or a slight sugar water. I'm going to pick peaches this week to can. They look lovely.

    ReplyDelete