1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Cookbook Love

6:15AM.  When I know there is zucchini in the fridge I get the same feeling as a child with money burning a hole in the pocket.  I can't believe it took me two days to actually get it out and bake zucchini bread, but now I feel better.  I love baking.  I love cooking.  In fact, I would be content to be a housewife in the 1950s just so I could wear an apron all day and plan meals to feed the family.  I get a natural high from the satisfying feeling that I have just prepared and fed my family.
I'm a fan of Rosie The Riveter, but I don't take offense when someone thinks a woman belongs in the kitchen.  I know I do.  Our kitchen is the heart of our home.  I think Rosie looks like she's rolling up her sleeves to start pounding on some bread dough. ;)
This is my favorite cookbook.  My parents gave it to me for Christmas when I was 17.
If you look closely, you can see the scribbles left by my mom.  She's the only person who I will let call me Nikki, by the way.
Here is my mom, Karen.  She still has her copy of the same cookbook, tattered and torn, dripped and fingerprinted, and I'm sure my sister and I used it as we learned how to bake cookies as young girls.
Mine is starting to feel the wear.  Notes of what I did and the year are helpful for me.
Here is my favorite page- biscuits.  I must have made this recipe a thousand times.  It produces the best biscuits I have ever tasted,  I am now a biscuit snob.  I have even purchased honey as a gift and baked some of these to go along in a basket.  They are THAT good.  Don't add cheese though- that was a devastating mistake.
I love and use this cookbook so often that it has earned an honorary spot on top of the buffet.  All of my other cookbooks are tucked inside.  I would LOVE to hear about YOUR favorite cookbook, and where you found it.  Happy Friday!♥♥

3 comments:

  1. I have that same cookbook...given to me as a bridal shower gift about 22 years ago! Mine is very tattered and torn with several pages torn out and notes written here and there.
    I love being at home in the kitchen, in fact I am wearing an apron right now, as I just got done making another batch of raspberry jam...yum!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful, Nadine! I'll have to post soon about aprons. I love them, too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to being in the kitchen though I keep messing everything up lately! I have that cookbook too, I always go to it for basic things like biscuits, etc. My fav - definitely Pioneer Woman Cooks!!

    ReplyDelete