1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Indian Fry Bread

When I was taking Home-Economics in 7th grade, my friend Emmanda's mother (who is a member of the Navajo Tribe) came in to demonstrate the correct process for making Indian Fry Bread.  I still have the original recipe- I cannot believe it survived so much without so much as a spot of grease on it.
 It's very basic.  Emmandas mother mixed the ingredients together using her hand, which all of us giggly girls couldn't wait to try.  I had a craving yesterday, so here are the results.

Rolled out the dough.  This is what tortillas look like when they are ready to go into the pan.  The only difference is that these will go into the hot vegetable oil.  The dough is VERY elastic.  You will build muscles because every time you roll over the dough, it shrinks back down.
You definitely don't want to walk away, even for a second.  Otherwise the fry bread will burn. 

I like to add butter and honey to mine.  I have seen others use cinnamon and sugar on theirs.  To each his own!  This recipe made 7 for us.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love Indian fry bread!! I lost my recipe, thanks now I have it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fun and wonderful!! Will give it a shot one of these days.... Yuuummmy!!

    ReplyDelete