1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Caramel Popcorn

I had the day off yesterday.  It was far from relaxing, though..  Our vacuum has been broken for over a month.  Yes, I haven't vacuumed the bedrooms for that long, and they were so gross.  I have always had bad luck with vacuum cleaners.  I find one that i think is affordable, am thrilled with it until it just dies.  The last one only lasted a year.  Yesterday being Presidents Day, the next Henle House vacuum was on sale and I rushed to Fred Meyers to pick it up.  Needless to say, I felt relieved to vacuum the bedrooms.  Phew. (OCD relieved.)  On to the next task- 6 hours of laundry folding.  I am not kidding!  Stephanie and I watched Lord Of The Rings part 2 and 3, that is 6 hours worth of movie, and I washed and folded laundry all day.  She had a brilliant idea though, for mom to make caramel popcorn.  MMM, she was right.  It was a good day for it.  Here is the recipe I use, it is an ooey gooey delicious mess, requiring a wet washcloth nearby to use as a napkin.  A best friend of mine has a dad who would make us a giant bowl of caramel popcorn and we would eat it all.  We've been friends for 28 years now.  I think of her EVERY time I eat caramel popcorn.
               Caramel Popcorn
One big bowl of popped popcorn (plain)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan, melt butter, sugar and corn syrup.  Bring to rolling boil, stirring constantly.   Remove from burner.  Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.  Stir, returning to burner for just a minute.  It says to cook until the thermometer reads 238 degrees.  I NEVER waste my time with this.  If it's hot, it's perfect.  Pour over popcorn and mix until all of the popcorn is evenly covered.  Cool for a few minutes before gorging yourself. 
I love this recipe because the caramel stays gooey rather than hardening.  It's even BETTER the next day!Happy Tuesday. ♥♥♥
Song for today is Man In Motion from the soundtrack St. Elmos Fire.  Great song- I feel like I am winning when it plays, and am laughing at this guys hair as well. LOL ♫

No comments:

Post a Comment