1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Apple Snack

Last year I purchased a dehydrator from someone on Craigslist for $10.00.  It was a great find for me, fits perfect under the counter, and was meant to dry the apples from our ancient apple tree.  The tree is in need of serious pruning, but we were told that it may go into shock and not produce those perfect pie apples.  We haven't pruned it yet. 
I have a sweet tooth.  The state of Washington makes sure that the menu I prepare for all of these kiddos has the correct amount of vitamins and food groups, and I like to add in some sugar.  So when I dehydrate the apples, I add a cinnamon sugar mixture to them.  It smells like apple pie when they are drying, and all of the kids are always asking where the pie is.
Here are some apples from the tree.  Mid spring I have to just go buy them at the grocery store, of course.  But the photo above was a particularly bountiful fall two years ago.  I think we had 5 buckets full.  They were canned, turned into jelly, and dried.
Add some of this stuff to the apples before they go into the dehydrator and it keeps them from turning brown.  Kids get picky if they are brown.
Look at those beautiful blossoms.  I thank God for our apple tree, and pray each year that it will produce well.  The kids enjoy learning about the different stages of growth, too.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment