1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Monday, March 21, 2011

No "Daycare" Here, Please

Schedules are wonderful.  Children know what to expect after they get used to the routine.  In my experience, it has been very helpful when a new little one arrives and is having a hard transition time.  Let's face it, most moms would rather die than have to bring their little ones to daycare.  The word "daycare" freaks me out!  Honestly, when I think of that word, visions of a messy space filled with lonely children who are all picking on each other with dirty faces and full diapers.  I hope that isn't a reality, I really do.   I know that my business is technically a "daycare".  But to make me feel better I suppose I just call it a "learning center".  We have a great schedule, the kids are learning so much!  But the one thing I thought was important was to make sure the kids get plenty of free time also.  I grew up playing outside from the first signs of Spring until the snow showed up mid Autumn. (Utah.)  That free time allowed me to learn the following things: empathy for others(as we threw rocks), gravity (falling out of trees and off of bikes), language (......), but most importantly, how to use our imaginations.
 We built huts, on the ground, in the trees, and actually dug ourselves underground holes to sit in, with a tunnel between our holes so we could communicate.  Free time is the best!  One of the things I try to make sure that I remember is that THIS is part of these kids' childhood.  I treasured mine, and really want to create fun for these kids to remember too.  No "daycare" here, please.
That's my son and niece in the video above, getting their groove on a couple of years ago. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment