1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Holding A Crayon

Look who have become fast friends?  Our plan is WORKING!  Petra really needed a cat to snuggle and play with since Smudge does his own thing.  These cats are so funny to watch- they race through the house like horses. 
We are still learning about the letter Aa and the number one.  We are also working on holding the crayon correctly.  I teach them to pinch and to try to keep their elbows on the table.  They will get a feel for it!  Sometimes it's hard for me to know whether they are right handed or left handed because they will get frustrated and switch.  I think they are all right handed.  We will see...
This is a great activity for learning to hold the crayon correctly.  I purchased these dry erase tracing boards a couple of years ago. 
My teacher friend was cleaning out supplies and gifted me these dry erase crayons- thank you Kristel!  They work wonderfully with the tracing boards.
The kids think they are just doodling, but they are learning.  They are tuning their fine motor skills, the ability to hold the crayon and make it mark something. Cause and effect- if I move it this way and push hard enough, it will make a mark!  When there is a dotted line for them to trace, I show them and make a choo choo sound so they can visualize that the crayon is a train on the track.  The goal is to draw the train line on the track.  So far it helps every time. :)
It makes me so happy when the kids hold the crayon correctly. (Nerd alert..oh well.  Nerds unite.) 
We stopped to see the new sunflower bloom this morning after the bus walk.  We are blessed with fog again this morning!
♥♥♥Happy Tuesday!♥♥♥
♫Now playing at Henle House- Welcome To England by Tori Amos.  ♫
I remember when she played this live in Seattle, so glad I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment