1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Friday, November 21, 2014

We Are Thankful

In the past couple of years, I have really strayed away from the stories about Plymouth Rock and the pilgrims arriving in America.  I feel that it is much more important around Thanksgiving to teach the young children what it means to be thankful.  They have heard this word quite a bit over the last month.  I felt like they understood it well enough to be able to tell me individually what they are thankful for.  Other ways to express the word "thankful" to young kids could be "What makes you happy?" or "What is special to you?"  "Who or what do you love?"  These answers are all things to be thankful for.
We created a simple thankful tree.  The kids colored some leaves onto it and then they joined me in the other room for some one on one thankful talk.
I wrote down everything that they said, even if it didn't make sense to me.
The kids had so many things to be thankful for that we ran out of pre-cut leaves!  
It takes a lot more time when we do things individually, but learning to be thankful is an important lesson.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 says "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."  Note that it does not say "Give thanks in just the good stuff.."  In ALL THINGS.  It's a tough concept at first, but when you put your faith in God, being thankful in all things becomes easy.
♥♥♥Happy Friday!♥♥♥
♫Rockin with Stevie Nicks this morning. "Edge of Seventeen".  I did get to see her live in Seattle maybe 15 years ago.  She was one of my favorite singers when I was a child.  I remember spinning as fast as I could spin when my dad would put this record on, I couldn't help but dance.  ♫

No comments:

Post a Comment