1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Shape Jack-O-Lantern/Easy Apple Tart

For two days in a row I wasn't happy with my curriculum art choice and changed it on a whim.  I must say, Pinterest is kind of my right hand guy when it comes to instant ideas.  We created a shape jack-o-lantern. 
The shapes are what would make up the face.
The kids took two shades of orange paper and tore them into pieces.  Onto the paper they went!
I traced a simple pumpkin shape onto the paper for them to use as a template.
I love the way the two shades create a bit of depth.  
Onto the pumpkin went the shapes!  I love the way these turned out, and the kids worked very hard.  It takes quite a bit of time to glue on all of the pieces the way that they did. 
Friday evening I was blessed with some rare alone time.  Being alone is so important to me!  Sometimes just half an hour of being alone can renew my spirit.  My family went off to the Snohomish High School Homecoming football game and I baked up an apple tart to vedge in front of the tv with.  It was GLORIOUS.  It was just enough to curb my apple pie craving.  See the recipe below. 
Easy Apple Tart
1 sheet puff pastry cut in half (Frozen section at the grocery store)
4 cored apples (skin on)
1 cup brown sugar
1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
A sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice (optional)
1/4 tsp. salt
lemon juice or Fruit Fresh
powdered sugar
*Let Puff pastry sit for 25 minutes out of freezer to thaw.  
*Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
*Thinly slice your apples.
*Mix the apples in a bowl with brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and spice, and a dash of lemon juice or Fruit Fresh  together.  Let it sit for a few minutes until the juices are flowing.
*Cut Pastry Puff in half.  The original recipe I had said to place it on parchment paper.  I was out of that and used wax paper.  BIG MISTAKE.  Next time I will lay the pastry Puff over baking racks on top of a tinfoil lined cookie sheet to catch the juices and prevent the tart from baking in them.  The juices burn and harden to a crisp and the tart had to be separated from that.  NOT FUN. 
Parchment paper would be perfect to lay over the baking racks, too. 
Lay the apples onto the center of the pastry.  Curse that wax paper.
Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!  These taste so good.  After I managed to chisel them off of the apple juice blackened pans, they were fabulous.  Even better the next morning right out of the fridge. 
Enjoy!
♥♥♥Happy Monday!♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment