1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Friday, October 24, 2014

Baby Food Jar Candles & Scones

My mother-in-law gave me a bag of baby food jars.  We have used baby food jars for two projects: shaking our own butter & candle holders.  If we had the lids for the jars, we would've made butter.  That's a fun project!  Just pour some heavy cream into a jar, tighten the lid and shake!  It will turn to a blob of butter.  Kids love that-- we have done that to represent the letter b.  Yesterday, we created Fall colored candle holders.
We have made this before, and I still use mine.  Baby food jars are the right size for either a tealight candle or a votive, and that makes me love them even more.  Warning:  once it's been burning for a while, it is very hot!  Make sure you keep it out of reach.  We turned off the lights to see how nicely it glows.
The kids each have a small cup with a mixture of Elmer's glue and water.  I don't measure,  but you just need to make sure that you have more glue than water.  The water thins it out.  The mixture should be very watery!  The kids then hold a tissue paper square into place on the outside of the jar, and paint it with the glue and water mixture to secure it.  This can take forever.  The goal is to keep the pieces as flat as possible.  That can be very difficult for a child to accomplish.  I usually make my rounds and help each child near the end to ensure ample jar coverage, and to try to smooth out the bulging paper blobs.
Set it on a paper plate or paper towels upside down to dry. 
I like to add twine.  To everything.  So I did.
I popped a tealight into everyone's jar so they can light it at home with mom and dad.  There is never a candle shortage in my house.  Need candles?   Pop on over to my Partylite Consultant's website and order some.  They can be delivered to your door.  I love Partylite because they burn smokeless, the melted wax does not burn skin, and they burn completely down to the end of the wick and leave no wax behind.  Even the White House uses Partylite.  If you do go online shopping-- check the clearance.  It's called "Online Outlet".   
 Meanwhile, it is pajama day at Henle House!  I finally have an excuse to wear sweats to work!  It's the best day ever!  I baked some scones.  You can find the recipe HERE.  They are amazing with coffee and sweat pants.
♥♥♥Happy Friday!♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment