1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Friday, August 8, 2014

Faking A Remodel(Before and Afters)

Let me get one thing clear before this post carries on-- I love our house.  I am so grateful to be in this house-- it has held us all very well and hosted many a family gathering.  I however, hated my kitchen-- until today.  Yesterday I was sitting outside during my break time and decided at about 1:30 that I was just going to go inside and paint the kitchen.  I suppose I had been holding out for a remodel.  Almost every other room in the entire house has already been painted.  Being that my handsome hubby works in the cabinet industry- I was holding out for a miracle of new cabinets that still hasn't presented itself, and I finally couldn't take it any longer.  No more green wall.  So I marched out to the garage and grabbed my giant five gallon bucket of Martha Stewart Gray Cement paint and blobbed some on there, just to stop myself from backing out.  Anyone who knows me, knows that that blotch would make me a mad woman if it just sat there.  Sometimes the best projects get completed in this house when I get bored and decide to do it on a whim.
Here it was before.  Green behind the cabinet doors and drawers.  Cream half wall in the front. Ugly cream looking backsplash above the counter.
These are some pretty solid green knobs that are still in perfect condition.  If you or anyone you know could use them, I have 26 of them for free.
Paint is a magical thing.  
Cabinet doors were so dirty that they were uncleanable.  Who knows how many years they have suffered through the gross paint that was on them.  Oh-- how can I forget to mention the copper hinges?
No more green, new knobs and fresh coat of white paint.  Three coats to be exact.  I painted the hinges gray.  This girl is on a budget.
As for this wall...
Gray.  I also painted the backsplash on the counter to the left.  The only bad thing about my fake remodel is that I am still stuck with the green counter top for now.  Or forever. 
I particularly like that the white paint looks so sharp and clean on the counter top thingy.  It was just wood. Plain old wood. Now it looks like it belongs, even if it does "help" the green counter stand out.
I was thrilled to be able to get knobs.  There is no way I could've let the green go with the gray for too long.
This is just satisfying enough to get me through the next several years without complaint.
Green before... with creamy weird backsplash.
It looks cleaner now.
I ran the gray paint around the outside of the kitchen, too.  I think it ties it together and almost creates an accent wall in the dining area.  
Someday, I will replace these counter tops.  For now-- I feel like I have faked a remodel!  Hard work pays off-- and the kids have been SO amazing since I started the project.  I'll bet if I had tried to plan this-- it wouldn't have gotten done. 
♥♥♥Happy Friday!♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment