1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Friday, January 6, 2012

"I'm Bored."

It's hard to be bored.  I find it a challenge when someone confesses with despair those two words.  "I'm bored."  When my own kids tell me that, they are assigned a chore.  I can't just go and assign a chore to the kids under my care, now, can I?  To counteract any child who declares boredom, I keep certain toys and activities put away.  Usually up high or tucked into a cabinet that they don't have access too.  Like the giant floor puzzles.  They are great at creating a boredom diversion.
Sometimes just offering a suggestion for a different way to use a familiar toy is helpful!  The kids created mega block body outlines.  Each child anxiously waited for their turn to lay down.
It is very helpful if the items that are stored away as boredom busters are actually fun.  A couple of years ago, I purchased this tube of wooden Tinkertoys at a yard sale for fifty cents..  They are so good at keeping kids happy and for the price I paid I consider them to be my best purchase ever.
If you have construction paper on hand, or newspaper, or paper towels, wrapping paper, toilet paper tubes, ANYTHING.. let a child create something from their own imaginations.  We call that "free art".  Yes, it will cause mess, but the boredom will be busted.  That is a success!
Song for today is my favorite version of "Let The Sun Shine" from the musical 'Hair'.   I love how that guy smiles when he realizes he is surrounded by music.  Happy Friday!♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment