1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Rectangle Paper Blocks

We are working on noticing the rectangle shape around us.  The kids have noticed the doors, some books, rugs, windows and paper towels.  I thought it might be fun to have a free art day, but to supply them with only rectangle shapes and markers.  The kids are great at building with blocks, and they had blank faces when I told them that they could create anything out of the rectangles.  I "built" two houses on the table to show them what I meant.  It was the same as blocks. 
They got busy!  I provided them with rectangles of many colors and sizes.
I encouraged them to "build" a bit on the paper before they begin to glue.  This way they could try to envision something and move pieces around until they were ready to secure them.
 When they were ready, they glued.  After that, I let them have free reign of the markers.  
 Is there anything better than a face drawn by a child?  I should have them printed up on some business cards.  She created a bridge at the office, with drawings on the bridge for the fish.
It was busy, and the table was full of excited sharing and chatter. 
At the little red table, the kids enjoyed playing with the wooden puzzles.   Even four year olds love to play with these toys geared towards much younger children.  They don't see these puzzles all of the time.  I love the little red table. It's like my secret weapon, called "distraction". 
Meanwhile, my beautiful mom brought this plant over for me.  It's a Christmas Cactus that has been grown from starts off of my Great Grandmother's plant and passed down through generations of the family.  Needless to say- I AM TERRIFIED that I will kill it.  Houseplants do not survive in our house.  I am able to keep gardens outside, but every indoor plant has died.  She ensured me that I couldn't possibly kill it-- I sure hope not!! It's neat to have a plant with a family history.  I also have some bluebells outside from the same Great Grandmother's garden. 
Here she is, my Great Grandma Inez Ventoza.  She is holding my big brother.
♥♥♥Happy Thursday!♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment