1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Garden Science

Who knew the kids would enjoy carrying a cup of dirt around so much?  
Last Fall, I dug up quite a few tulip bulbs to let them rest.  I re-planted several, and there were so many left over that I just left them in a box in the garage.  I noticed they are sprouting, so I thought we should try to plant some in cups.  The kids will enjoy watching them and eventually taking them home.
I labeled the cups with names.  I prefer to use clear cups so we can look for roots.
Out we went, to take a look at the bulbs.
We looked at some tulip greens that are already sprouting up in the garden.
The kids really enjoyed scooping dirt out of the veggie garden.  
I should let them play with the shovel in the garden more often in the winter.  
Some of us were worried about the worms.  I usually remind them that worms are the gardens little helpers.  Without worms, the roots of all of the plants wouldn't get enough oxygen.
They each chose two bulbs to plant in their cups.
They set them in the dirt.
When everyone had chosen their bulbs, we went back to the garden.
We added more dirt to "tuck them in". 
The kids became instant parents.  The care and concern about these little plant fellas was pretty evident.  They checked on their little plants every couple of minutes to see if they were growing yet.
We placed the cups in the little tray and moved that to the garden.  We have had so many plants knocked over in the spot where we had them in the photo above.
I hope they will flower, but I'm not sure that they will.  Gardening is my favorite kind of science.
 Inside, we got out the small chalkboards to practice writing our names.
 The kids did it on their own.  Without tracing, this time!
♥♥♥Happy Wednesday!♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment