1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Video Game Battle

It's that time of year again.  Things calm down, there is no school schedule to mold our daily activities.  The video game battle has already begun.  What I mean by that is that my boys only want to play video games all of the time.  Mostly my 9 year old.  On one hand,  I feel like he deserves to do that on some days because he has earned it.  On the other hand, I feel like he will miss out on other things and it's not healthy.  When I get bored, I bake.  (See that peach bunt cake? It was my first, not bad.)  When my son gets bored, he follows me around looking forlorn.  We found a solution.
He's a smart kid.  In desperation, I told him that he should learn how to make koolaid.  Every kid should know how.  So that took up all of .... 5 minutes.  Having a friend over wasn't an option that day. 
We have a "Truth Or Dare" game book in the house.  I decided to flip open a random page and present him with a dare. 
"I dare you to spit water up into the air and catch it again in your mouth."  He was up to the task. 
He threw it using the cup instead, but he caught some!
Feeling accomplished, he moved on through some other dares.  We also have a "Scavenger Hunt" game.  Each card has four tasks or items to complete and collect.  The next time he gets bored and video games are not an option, I will give him a card and a few minutes to complete it.  Hopefully it will keep him coming back for more.   He knows that he is NOT allowed to sit and vedge in front of a video game all day.   It's pushing him to find some more creative outlets, and I'm glad.
These boys, too.  (Mine is the shirtless one who loves to play his hand held video games, too. ) He has to put them away for most of the day and it forces him to play games with people and engage. 
It can be so hard when the rain has been here for so long! 
♥♥♥Happy Thursday!♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment