1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Crystal Hearts

I am loving all of the heart projects we have been up to.  This project was VERY easy- and I was surprised at the speedy rate were able to create crystal hearts. 
For each child, you will need 1/3 cup of Borax.
Each child will need one pipe cleaner, a length of yarn and a popsicle stick or a pencil.  Create the shape desired out of the pipe cleaner.  Tie the yarn to the pipe cleaner, and then tie the other end to the stick. 
You will need a glass or a jar.  We used medium size canning jars.  Your shape should be able to fit inside the opening of whatever you choose to use. The stick keeps the shape from resting on the bottom of the jar.
I prepared all of this ahead of time.  We usually keep our project time to half an hour or less.  It would've been hard for the kids to wait for me while I shaped each heart and tied yarn.
I poured some borax into a bowl and let the kids crush the clumps.  They each measured 1/3 cup.
Pour it into your jar.
There was a very minimal mess factor to this project.  I adore that.
Now just add hot water.  I had the water ready to go in a tea kettle on the stove.  Obviously, this makes the jar HOT, so please instruct your children NOT to touch the jar at this point.  I gave them each a long spoon to gently help the Borax dissolve.  It took a minute.
Then the kids can place their hearts inside of the jar.
See how the stick keeps the heart off of the bottom? 
 If your string is too long, just roll it up onto your stick until it's just right.
Up into the window sill the jars went.  
Pinterest said it would take overnight, but to our surprise, after 3 hours we had crystal hearts!!
♥♥♥
Meanwhile, I'm on a health kick.  I'm tired of feeling tired.  Fresh fruit and veggie smoothies are replacing my junk lunches and I am beginning another exercise regimen.  
My goal is not to lose weight, but to feel  better.  
♥♥♥Happy Thursday!♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment