1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Mayflower

Do you remember when I told you that the group of kids I have right now were not interested in this topic?  I was so wrong.  We have been going over this book every day in group time and yesterday they were quite animated about it!  We have been looking at the globe of earth to see the route the pilgrims might have taken across the ocean to America.  
Unbeknownst to me, they were listening THE WHOLE TIME.   Yesterday they recanted the entire book to me.  They were rather excited about it, too!  (Insert beaming smile here..) They know that the pilgrims had a tough time on the ship and that they had to work hard to build homes.  They know that there were no grocery stores.
They know that the pilgrims probably prayed to God for help and food. 
They even know about Squanto, the Wompanog  helper who showed them where to fish and hunt and what grew well in gardens. 
We decided to create the Mayflower ship.  First step was to fingerpaint clouds and ocean. 
They remembered from the book that the ocean probably threw the boat around violently.  
The next step was a brown hand print.  This is The Mayflower ship.
We talked about how if a ship does not have an engine, it needs to have sails in order to catch the wind and move.  They kids added sails. :)
We had a fleet of Mayflower ships!  Boy am I glad that they have learned something.  Happy Friday!♥♥♥

1 comment:

  1. Love the handprint ship! That is so cool, I may have to try this one with my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete