1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Cake Decorating


I learned how to decorate cakes about 10 years ago while working for Albertsons.  When they decided to teach me, I had never even picked up a piping tube.  Years later, I am still enjoying the trade on the side.  I suppose I like being able to whip something up- and knowing that I can repair any cake disaster is a nice perk.
Ethan asked me to make him a spider birthday cake a couple of years back so I would be scared of it.
Here's a simple and elegant design that was made for my sister during her baby shower 4 years ago.
I DO get tired of making cakes sometimes.  The longer I am out of the bakery, the lazier I get.  Ethans cupcake request was a nice break.
I have a love-hate relationship with pie dough.  Boy have I created some UGLY pies, but pumpkin pies are so easy because there is no top crust.
 I enjoy drawing on the birthday cakes.  I also love Wilton food coloring- it is so bold!!
Here is a terrible photo of my very first wedding cake.  I made it in my kitchen- and the bakery I worked for was worried for me.  It turned out beautiful! Boy do I not miss actually transporting cakes.  I remember driving 15 miles per hour, cars honking and giving me the bird..   I just needed a sign that said, "I just spent 4 hours on this cake- please just go around."
Another wedding cake out of the kitchen- this one for my sister in-law Cassie. How about that pink counter top?  Good old apartments.
I used to dream of having a separate refrigerator just for my cake creations.  Now my cake making has slowed to a crawl.  I will create my final wedding cake in July.
Cassie and Josefs wedding cake in it's glory day.  I was worried the whole time because the spot picked out for it was in the sun.  It slowly became the leaning cake of Piza.  (Every cake decorators worst nightmare.)
My sisters wedding cake- very simple, yet elegant.  We picked foliage out of our parents yard I think- and this cake melted in the 80 degree heat.  It was more like 90 degrees in the house.  I can already see the frosting letting go of the cake in this photo. 
I was happy to create Ethans candy cake request- this is a five minute job.  ♥  (I'm always happy to create their cakes, but boy do I jump for joy when they request the photo below..)
Ice cream sundaes! ♥♥♥

1 comment:

  1. The wedding cakes are beautiful! Nice work! I am pretty sure you should teach me the trade before you retire! ;)

    ReplyDelete